Top 15 Home Remedies to Fight Varicose Veins
Varicose veins have become a very common problem which has been affecting approximately 10% of the population. Women are the most affected by this problem. If varicose veins are not treated properly, it may result in serious complications.
Varicose veins are veins which are abnormally enlarged that appear close to the surface of the sink. They are caused due to the malfunctioning of the valves inside the veins due to prolonged obstruction or pressure of the veins. They usually occur in the thighs and calf muscles.
Cause of Varicose Veins
There are many reasons which can attribute to the formation of varicose veins. They include:
- Varicose veins usually develop in people due to prolonged hours of sitting or standing
- Sitting cross-legged for long duration
- Lack of exercise
- Excess weight
- During Pregnancy
- Prolonged Constipation
- Lifting heavy objects puts more pressure on legs leading to varicose veins
- Deficiency of Vitamin C and bioflavonoid which can weaken the collagen structure in the walls of the vein
Symptoms of Varicose Veins
The following are the symptoms which are experienced by a person with varicose veins:
- Leg Sores
- Leg Cramps
- Feeling of Heaviness in the legs
Varicose veins is left untreated can lead to liver disease, abdominal tumors and heart failure.
Home Remedies for Varicose Veins
Karishma Vein Clinic is a popular clinic specializing in varicose veins treatment in Pune. The doctors suggest the following home remedies for varicose veins.
- Varicose Veins Home Remedies #1: Exercise daily to alleviate the problem of varicose veins. Swimming, bicycling and walking help in promoting good circulation of blood. It is also very important to maintain a healthy weight to avoid any problems.
- Varicose Veins Home Remedies #2: It is best suggested to consume a balanced diet which includes plenty of fresh vegetable, fruits and fish. A low fat diet and also a diet with low carbohydrates are also advisable.
- Varicose Veins Home Remedies #3: The doctors also suggest eating as many cherries and blackberries as you can which will help to prevent the varicose veins. It also helps to ease the symptoms.
- Varicose Veins Home Remedies #4: It is very beneficial to include pineapple, onions, ginger and garlic in your diet.
- Varicose Veins Home Remedies #5: A high fiber diet helps to keep the bowels clean thereby resolving any constipation problem.
- Varicose Veins Home Remedies #6: Avoid intake of certain food items like salt, sugar, ice cream, junk food, cheese, animal protein, refined and processed food, peanuts and fried foods.
- Varicose Veins Home Remedies #7: Consumption of alcohol should be strictly avoided. Smoking is also prohibited as it will worsen the condition.
- Varicose Veins Home Remedies #8: Avoid wearing tight clothes as they restrict the flow of blood. Wear medical compression stockings which will give you a lot of relief.
- Varicose Veins Home Remedies #9: Follow these practices which will help to alleviate the symptoms:
- Elevate your legs above the heart level as much as possible
- Avoid sitting or standing for long duration of time
- Do not sit cross legged for long periods of time
- Do no lift heavy objects which will put unnecessary pressure on your legs.
- Varicose Veins Home Remedies #10: If your work entails you to sit at the desk for prolonged hours, ensure that you take breaks in between and walk around. Also flex your muscles and wriggle your toes which will help to increase the blood flow. If possible while seated place your leg on an object that is elevated from the floor.
- Varicose Veins Home Remedies #11: If you have to stand for long periods of time; stand on your toes, walk around and shift your weight between your feet to give you relief.
- Varicose Veins Home Remedies #12: At home while watching TV or reading, elevate your feet.
- Varicose Veins Home Remedies #13: Fill a tub with cold water and place your legs in it as it will stimulate waking and blood circulation and ease the pain.
- Varicose Veins Home Remedies #14: Do not scratch the itchy skin above the varicose veins as it will cause bleeding and ulceration.
- Varicose Veins Home Remedies #15: Apply castor oil over the varicose veins affected are after a bath and also massage from the feet into your legs.
These home remedies to fight varicose veins will help to alleviate the problem and also give you a lot of comfort.