In a layman’s language, varicose veins are nothing but twisted, large, and swollen blood vessels. Though it may appear as a cosmetic problem, varicose veins cause pain and discomfort. Some of the main reasons attributed to occurrence of varicose veins are obesity, genetics, hormonal imbalance, age, and standing or sitting for a prolonged period. As a preventive measure we at Karishma vein clinic advice our patients to exercise regularly and follow certain do’s and don’ts to reduce the pain and to have healthy veins.
Improper blood circulation back to the heart is the main cause of varicose vein problems. As an effective remedy, exercises are recommended mainly to improve blood circulation.
Simple exercises like walking, swimming, jogging and cycling are good for strengthening your legs and also for blood circulation. Although running is a good exercise, vigorous running that generates high impact is not advisable. Slow running on surfaces that are hard can be done. For that matter any exercise that is strenuous and requires application of pressure is not advisable as they may interfere with circulation problem. As the exercise regime of athletes demands more pressure on legs, they can wear compression stockings. But before starting any exercise regime it is always advisable for athletes and pregnant ladies to visit a vein specialist for proper advice.
Exercise can also be done while you stand or sit in a place for a long time. Rotating the feet, lifting the legs, and extending it forward to stretch are some small exercises that can be followed at work. These exercises help in movement of legs and to increase blood circulation.
Some dos and don’ts
These are some easy instructions that can be followed to prevent varicose veins and reduce the swelling.
- Take care of your body by consuming healthy food. Include more fresh fruits and vegetables in your food.
- Elevate your legs whenever possible for easy flow of blood. Raising the leg above your heart level for 10 minutes will also be beneficial for circulation and this can be done 2-3 times daily.
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes.
- Compression stockings are helpful to avoid varicose veins problems. Compression stockings are easily available and a right choice of stockings can be made after consulting a vein specialist doctor.
- Exercise regularly for good blood circulation and reduce varicose vein problems. Walking, cycling, jogging and any other simple exercises are recommended to reduce and prevent varicose vein problems.
- Try to reduce weight as being overweight and obesity are some of the common reasons for varicose veins
- Do not wear tight clothes or high heeled shoes.
- Standing or sitting for a prolonged period of time interrupt blood circulation causing pool of blood in the veins.
- Sitting with your legs crossed is absolutely not recommended.
- Avoid packaged food and processed food that are high in salt and also limit your salt intake in the food prepared at home.
- Avoid bad habits like smoking and consuming alcohol to keep your heart healthy.
These are simple alterations that are made in the lifestyle to prevent or reduce the problems associated with varicose veins. Karishma vein clinic considered as best clinic for varicose vein treatment in Pune, is always happy to assist you for all varicose vein problems.