Are you interested to get rid of those twisted, enlarged, abnormal varicose veins without any surgery or complications? We can hear you saying ‘YES’. Endovenous laser therapy (EVLT), a minimal invasive therapy, offers excellent and painless treatment when compared to vein stripping. This procedure aims to address the problem of aching, heaviness, itching, and also venous ulcers. Not to forget, the treatment is also done for cosmetic reasons to get rid of unsightly bulging veins. Karishma vein clinic, the leading medical centre for EVLT treatment in Pune explains the treatment benefits and its procedures.
Benefits of EVLT
Expert vascular surgeon performs this procedure and uses laser energy for treating varicose veins. The general benefits when you undergo this procedure are:
- A minimally invasive procedure
- Downtime is none
- Safe and effective procedure
- No hospitalization required
- No general anesthesia required.
- Minimal or no scarring
- Procedure takes very less time
- High success rate
What is the science behind it?
EVLT is an excellent choice to treat varicose if you are apprehensive of entering operation theatre. The effective utilization of heat generated through laser is the real science behind the treatment of varicose veins. The heat destroys the vein walls and over a period of days, the dead tissues are absorbed by the body and thereby, varicose veins get vanished.
Am I a candidate for EVLT?
Invariably all patients with varicose veins can undergo EVLT. Only the small recurrent varicose veins that usually appear after a surgery cannot be treated. Having said that, these recurring veins are never a cause of worry and can be effectively treated with foam sclerotherapy.
What is the procedure?
The word ‘Endovenous’ means ‘inside the vein’. Hence, as the name suggests, the procedure is performed inside the vein after the administration of local anesthesia to numb the area. The laser fiber, located inside the catheter, is passed through the vein and positioned precisely at the spot of treatment. It should be borne in the mind that ultrasound scanning techniques are used to determine the treatment spots. Hence the fear of firing laser at undesired spot does not arise. After heating those vein walls for few minutes, the laser and catheter are retracted. During the procedure, it is quiet common to encounter the burning smell, but by all probability, you would not feel any pain. The whole treatment does not take more than half an hour and you are ready to continue with most of your daily chores.
Any after care?
The biggest advantage of EVLT is that you can straightaway go back to your work or home with few minor stipulations. The stipulations, at the most, can be for two weeks and hence it should not be a major problem.
- Do not drive on your own. Take a public transport or ask someone to drive you.
- Wear the stockings and take bath as prescribed by your surgeon.
- Do not swim or get your legs wet during the period you have been asked to wear compression stockings.
- It is quite natural to feel tightening sensation and experience mild pain for a period of a week. A course of pain relieving drugs should do the trick to overcome it.
Any need for further treatment?
- If you had undertaken the procedure to relieve the symptoms, then it may not be necessary to go any further.
- If cosmetic issues are your main concerns, then you may have to go for additional treatments through foam sclerotherapy or avulsions. If the severity of varicose veins is quite high, it is better to avail the additional treatments after a period of 6 weeks.
Is it safe?
Absolutely! No major issues or complications associated with EVLT have been reported till now. Akin to any laser treatment, few very rare risk factors such as burning and nerve damage do exist. With cosmetic surgeon of Karishma veins clinic beside you, the safest pair of hands for Endovenous Laser Treatment in Pune, you need not fret any further. Bring out the change and relive yourself from the clusters of varicose veins.