Spider veins are small, twisted veins which are purple or blue in colour and appear mostly in the face and legs. Though they are similar to varicose veins, spider veins are much smaller, less twisted and do not protrude the skin. Spider veins appear very close to the skin and resemble a spider’s web hence the name.Spider veins also develop due to the non-functioning of the valves in the veins. They can also be caused by obesity, heredity and hormonal changes during pregnancy and menopause.Apart from being a visual displeasure, spider veins generally do not pose any health complications. With more and more people becoming beauty conscious, there are many treatments available in the market to choose from.
Spider veins can be treated with the help of a host of home remedies as well as Laser therapy, Sclerotherapy, Radiofrequency Ablation and Endovenous laser surgery. Karishma Vein clinic, a well-known spider vein clinic in Pune lists the following as method for treating spider veins:
- Ginkgo Biloba:Ginkgo Biloba is a tree which has many medicinal properties. The extract from the veins of the herb help in widening the blood vessels and strengthens the vein walls. Three to four doses daily of about 30 mg of the extract of Gingko Biloba will resolve the spider vein problem.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Compress the area where you have spider veins with a clean cloth soaked in apple cider vinegar.Let the skin soak it in for about 20-30 mins. Follow this regimen for about three to four times a month to get excellent results in the form of diminished spider veins.
- Horse Chestnut Seeds: With good circulatory and anti-inflammatory properties, Horse Chestnut Seeds are helpful in strengthening veins and capillaries.They give relief from itching, swelling, pain and fatigue caused due to Varicose or Spider veins.
- Witch Hazel: Witch hazel is a plant whose leaves, bark and twigs have medicinal properties. The astringent properties present in Witch Hazel helps in reducing Spider veins. Apply witch hazel solution dipped in a cotton ball to the affected area for several times regularly to watch the spider veins disappear.
- Bilberry: The dried and ripe fruit and leaves of the Bilberry plant are rich in medicinal properties. 30mg of Bilberry extracts 2-3 times a day helps in getting rid of the spider veins.It improves blood circulation and strengthens the vein walls Apart from treating spider veins, Bilberry is also used as remedy for mouth and throat inflammations,diarrhoea, diabetes and eye problems
- Ginger: The most common and easily available herb in the kitchen “Ginger” is also one of the best remedies for spider veins.Ginger has blood thinning properties which makes it very easy for the heart to pump blood and as result lowers the blood pressure. Fibrin is a blood protein that builds up in the areas where the veins get injured. Ginger has the ability to break the fibrin and in turn reduce spider veins.